Forensic psychiatry is a branch of medicine which focuses on the interface of law and mental health. Forensic psychiatric evaluations are not covered by insurance companies and do not involve any ongoing treatment. Jessica Talley, M.D. provides forensic psychiatric services for WVU Physicians of Charleston. She has completed general training in psychiatry as well as fellowships in forensic psychiatry and child and adolescent psychiatry. In addition to performing evaluations, she can provide expert consultation and court testimony. Dr. Talley is board certified by the American Board of Psychiatry and Neurology in General Psychiatry as well as the subspecialties of Forensic Psychiatry and Child and Adolescent Psychiatry.
Types of evaluations offered include:
Amenability to treatment
Independent psychiatric evaluations for corporations regarding individual employee issues
Independent psychiatric evaluations for fitness for duty and dangerousness
Various competency evaluations such as incapacitated persons, medical decision making, testamentary capacity, financial responsibility and others.
- Competency to stand trial
- Criminal responsibility
- Treatment recommendations to the courts to aid in sentencing
- Consultation to the courts, defense counsel and district attorney's office on psychiatric issues
For more information about our forensic psychiatry services or to refer a client for an evaluation, please call (304) 388 -1072.
Forensic Psychiatric Services Fees and Billing Policy
Services billed at $350 per hour
- Services will be billed based on time. Services will not be provided on a contingency basis and fees will not be adjusted based on the outcome of an evaluation.
- Services will be billed at an hourly rate in 15 minute increments.
- Contractual rates may vary.
- A retainer may be requested.
- The attorney or agency requesting services is responsible for payment of all fees pertaining to the case unless other arrangements are made in advance.
- If a request is made for a case to be time or expense limited, the case may not result in a final opinion.
- Billing statements will be mailed monthly or upon completion of a report if that is sooner.
- If an account is overdue it may result in work ceasing on a case and release of a written report usually requires payment of any outstanding balance.
- If an evaluee fails to show for an interview or cancels with notice of less than 24 hours, the account may be billed for any services provided up to that point as well as for the reserved interview time.
Services billed at $200 per hour
- Record Review
- Report writing and editing
- Testimony and Deposition (as well as preparation time and waiting time)
- Attorney Assistance with trial preparation (such as development of cross examination questions or jury selection)
- Psychological or Neuropsychological testing when performed by a Ph.D.
- Research for unusual cases (with attorney approval)
- Phone consultation to discuss a case or results
- Travel (more than 30 minutes)
- Cancellation with less than 24 hours’ notice or no show for interview
- Testing performed by a psychometrician
There is no charge for an initial phone consultation.
- From the West, take Rt. 61 South (aka MacCorkle Ave. SE), to CAMC Memorial Division (31st St.). Take second right to 3100 MacCorkle Ave. SE.
- From the East, take Rt.61 North (aka MacCorkle Ave. SE) to 31st St., turn at second right.
- The CAMC Memorial parking building is located on your right directly across from the Hospital Entrance. This parking building serves as patient and visitor parking for all CAMC Memorial campus facilities.
- The cost for parking is $1.00 per half hour, with a maximum $4.00 charge for all day parking